Canada

NOVA SCOTIA

Nova Scotia has a total population of 897,570 people. The capital city is Halifax, with a population of 355,945. The total area of the province is 13,794,110 acres. 30% of the land in Nova Scotia is Crown Land, with the remaining 70% privately held.

 

How Nova Scotia is owned

The Crown owns all physical land in Nova Scotia. About 70% of Crown land has been granted or dedicated, in freehold tenure. The remaining 30% is administered by the Provincial Government

Freehold Home tenure

There are 360,025 dwellings in Nova Scotia. 252,150 dwellings are held in freehold tenure by the resident. 70% of people in Nova Scotia have freehold tenure.

Parks

There are two National Parks in Nova Scotia, covering a total of 328,890 acres.

Agriculture

There are 3,923 farms in Nova Scotia, covering a total area of 1,005,810 acres. Each farm has an average area of 256 acres. 3,804 farms are held freehold by the operator, covering a total area of 874,202 acres. The remaining farms are rented or leased, and cover a total area of 131,608 acres

Mining

The principal minerals mined in Nova Scotia are gypsum, natural gas, coal, petroleum and salt. The largest mines are the assorted gypsum mines and the Phalen coal mine.

Forestry

Total Forest Land held by the Province: 3,148,054 acres

Treed Land held by the Federal Government:

Federal Aboriginal Land: 22,239 acres

Other Federal Land: 266,868 acres

Total: 289,107 acres

Privately held land (held by individuals, companies, municipalities):

Industrial: 2,293,088 acres

Nonindustrial: 5,011,188 acres

Other: 0

Total: 7,304,276 acres

Percentage held by Provincial Government: 28%

Percentage held by Federal Government: 3%

Percentage of Forest Land Privately held: 69%

Percentage of Industrial Private land holders: 33%

Big Landholders

Cape Breton Development Corporation.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

 

Page last changed: 2nd July 2007 @ 8:39 am