Canada

ONTARIO

Ontario has a total population of 11,285,550 people. The capital city is Toronto, which has a population of 4,647,960. The total area of the province is 265,977,204 acres, of which 87% is Crown Land. The remaining 13% is private. Most of the private land in the province is in the southern Ontario region.

 

How Ontario is owned

All physical land in Ontario is owned by the Crown. Only 13% of this land has been granted or dedicated in freehold tenure

Homes in freehold tenure

There are a total of 4,219,410 dwellings in Ontario. Of these, 2,816,220 are held freehold by the occupant. 67% of people in Ontario have freehold tenure of their home.

Parks

There are five National Parks in Ontario, covering a total of 518,316 acres. In addition, 265 Provincial Parks and 300 designated conservation areas cover 14,331,800 acres.

Agriculture

There are 59,728 farms in Ontario, covering a total area of 13,457,641 acres. Each farm has an average size of 227 acres. 57,156 farms are held in freehold tenure by the operator, covering a total of 9,372,972 acres. The remaining farms are rented or leased, and cover a total of 4,134,089 acres.

Mining

The principle minerals mined in Ontario include gold, nickel, copper, cement, sand, gravel and stone. Significant mines include Golden Patricia (gold), Holt-McDermott (gold), Aquarius (gold), Red Lake (gold), David Bell (gold), Williams (gold), Winston and Pick Lake (gold), Hoyle Pond (gold), Macassa/Lake Shore (gold), Pamour/Hoyle (gold), Golden Giant (gold), Holloway (gold), Geco (gold, copper, zinc), Campbell (gold), Detour Lake (gold), Dome (gold), Musselwhite (gold), Matachewan (gold), Algoma/George McLeod (iron ore).

Forestry

Total Forest Land held by the Province: 153,412,035 acres

Forest Land held by the Federal Government:

Federal Aboriginal Land: 1,210,791 acres

Other Federal Land: 573,272 acres

Total: 1,784,063 acres

Privately held land (held by individuals, companies, municipalities):

Industrial: 1,564,143 acres

Nonindustrial: 11,836,090 acres

Other: 155,673 acres

Total: 13,555,906 acres

 

Percentage held by Provincial Government: 88%

Percentage held by Federal Government: 1%

Percentage of Forest Land Privately held: 11%

Percentage of Industrial Private land holders: 13%

Big Landholders

Barrick Gold, Echo Bay Mines, Goldcorp Inc, Homestake Mining Company, Inmet Mining Corporation, Kinross Gold Corporation, Newmont Mining Corporation, Noranda Incorporated, Placer Dome, Royal Oak Ventures Ltd, Teck Cominco Ltd, Algoma Steel Incorporated.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

 

Page last changed: 2nd July 2007 @ 8:39 am